Friday, July 22, 2011

Traveling Light

  We've all seen it, probably even been guilty ourselves.  The fisherman who shows up carrying everything but the kitchen sink, spends 30 minutes arranging all this baggage, and finds his range severely limited by the need to drag around such a menagerie, of which he'll only use a few items. If you've been there done that, welcome to the club.
 Thankfully, fishing doesn't need be that complicated, or restrictive.

  Over the years, I've developed a broad range of pack styles and equipage for the different types of fishing I engage in. I own a number of backpacks, fanny packs, water bottles and coolers. The trick is in choosing the right combination for the day and type of fishing.
Some days I actually get it right.

  Throughout the year, my favorite endeavor is the pursuit of the Bass.
There are a few benefits to this, for one, "I don't need no stinkin bait".  That's a huge advantage toward having an enjoyable and leisurely day on the water.
Toward this end, I have a couple of simple equipment options available. My first consideration is the length of time I'll spend fishing, along with the distance I intend to cover.
  For short trips, a couple of hours, I'll generally carry a small fanny pack and a water bottle that will clip to my belt. My range of tackle doesn't need to be large, a spinner, a couple of crankbaits, plastic worms, maybe a topwater lure, if I've got room I'll usually add a few things.
 A couple of granola bars, etc will do for snacks.
Along with a pair of needle nose pliers, in an accessible belt sheath, and a rag in my pocket, I'm pretty well fixed for a nice morning of Bass fishing. I will sometimes add my MP3 player to the outfit, but only if I'm fishing alone.
  With a simple gear set up like this, I have great freedom of movement and everything I'm likely to need. I might add a pocketknife to the list but I think that goes without saying. There are no encumbrances, and nothing to leave lying on the bank, the only thing in my hands is the rod.

  I have a number of variations I use for different types of fishing and a good hydration pack is indispensable for longer trips in warm weather.
 All in all, it's has been an enjoyable expenditure of time and thought, fine tuning my gear techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment